Assignment Week6Assignments ·
Due 4PM October 22
- Mix or blend language and code (programming language & other possibilities?) in a creative way.
- Possible directions to go: ambiguity, poetics, following/breaking a certain structure, différance…
- For anyone who doesn’t feel comfortable with programming languages, I would suggest you picking a code system that you are familiar with. There are many different code systems out there in our life, following a specific format or a set of rules. A few examples: bar code, zip code, time stamps, morse code, music notations etc… Think about the rules this particular code system is using and see whether you can use language to ‘hack’ it or use that code system to challenge language.
- Check Opinions Are My Own, by Leon Ecker
- Sonnets of Pentametron
- Video: “Experimental Creative Writing with the Vectorized Word” by Allison Parrish, make sure to watch the reading starting from 34:50, you can watch the rest of the video if you want to know more about the project
- Cultural Data: Possibilities and limitations of the digital data universe
- A manifesto: “Data Will Help Us”
- “The Secrets of Surveillance Capitalism”, Shoshana Zuboff
Questions to think about
- When do language become data? What are the possibilities, limitations, concerns of data?
- How could we make creative and ethical use of the textual data online?